Saturday, July 31, 2010
HOMEMADE HOT SAUCE RECIPE
I looked online because of my abundant tomato and hot peppers and tried to find a hot sauce recipe. This is the one I came up with and made. I think the next time I will try less vinegar and more hot peppers, although it tastes pretty good. It's more of a creamy sauce than liquid.
Here's the link. They have other recipes and a lot of good tips to help.
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 cup of diced red onion
2 to 3 cups of diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 medium chili peppers (I used green salsa peppers)
4 habanero peppers, seeded (I used jalepeno)
1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons white sugar
1. Over medium heat in a large saucepan, heat oil and add the onion, chili peppers, habanero peppers and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown. Stir continuously.
2. Reduce heat. Add the vinegar, tomatoes, salt and sugar. Stir until the tomatoes break down. Roughly 6 minutes.
3. Place mixture in blender and blend until a puree is formed.
4. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve. (I just have a regular colander)
5. Let mixture cool for an hour.There you have it. Pretty simple and can be done in under an hour.