Saturday, July 31, 2010

HOMEMADE HOT SAUCE RECIPE

I looked online because of my abundant tomato and hot peppers and tried to find a hot sauce recipe.  This is the one I came up with and made.   I think the next time I will try less vinegar and more hot peppers, although it tastes pretty good.  It's more of a creamy sauce than liquid.
Here's the link.  They have other recipes and a lot of good tips to help.


Ingredients:
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 cup of diced red onion
2 to 3 cups of diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 medium chili peppers (I used green salsa peppers)
4 habanero peppers, seeded (I used jalepeno)
1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons white sugar

Directions:
1. Over medium heat in a large saucepan, heat oil and add the onion, chili peppers, habanero peppers and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown. Stir continuously.

2. Reduce heat. Add the vinegar, tomatoes, salt and sugar. Stir until the tomatoes break down. Roughly 6 minutes.

3. Place mixture in blender and blend until a puree is formed.

4. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve. (I just have a regular colander)

5. Let mixture cool for an hour.
There you have it. Pretty simple and can be done in under an hour.

2 comments:

Alex Staff said...

The color of your hot sauce is very different to other hot sauces that we usually see. But anyway, what's important is the taste and hotness of that sauce, and it truly matches any main course.

mamag7 said...

I felt the same way about the color. But yes, the taste and hotness is amazing..