Friday, October 8, 2010

PASTOR'S APPRECIATION MONTH /Make it EVERY month....


"I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine.... " (2 Timothy 4:1,2,3a).
Quite a charge given to the pastor and QUITE a responsibility.

It's not easy being a pastor. The accountability alone before the Lord is overwhelming. "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you." (Hebrews 13:17).

Can you imagine the responsibility given to "watch" for the souls of your sheep (the local assembly), and then give account of it before the Captain of your salvation. Wow.. that gets a little overwhelming, when you think about it. But, that's exactly what a pastor must do.. Besides the studying and preaching of the Word, the care and watch for their souls, and being a servant with kindness to all. That's a tall order, but that's what a man of God, when he receives the 'call' of God, MUST do in order to fulfill the great commission from Jesus Christ.

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15).

"And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God maybe will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth.." (2 Timothy 2: 24, 25).

I guess I should know all about pastors. I'm married to one. We've been in the ministry for over 40 years now and I've seen my husband through the 'thick and thin' of it. The many 'baptisms of fire', the struggle with a wayward member of the flock, seeing him smile through tears, at times, even being maligned and misrepresented, as well as the MANY joys and happinesses, too. No-----there's MUCH to the ministry and there are many out there today and in the past who have left the ministry because of the pressures and stress.

He's supposed to know the answer for EVERYTHING, be there for EVERY meeting, visit at a moment's notice, preach funerals, marry people, baptize converts, dedicate babies.. and the list goes on.

BUT WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAID????

"THANK YOU, PASTOR, I REALLY APPRECIATED THAT SERMON!"

Or..."PASTOR, HOW WOULD LIKE TO COME OVER FOR DINNER?"

Or..."PASTOR, LET ME MEET YOU AT CHURCH TO PRAY FOR YOU!!!"

Doesn't happen------does it?

You see, I've been there----done that--and seen it all.

But, may I say, I've seen some and most of this over the years, but the Lord has given us the greatest congregations. Three in all. But, there are and were times, that our faith was tested beyond belief. And by God's grace...we passed the tests.

But, I had a ministry online to pastor's wives and the stories I heard from them about the things they have gone through in their ministries, would make you cringe. My heart breaks for them in some of the situations they've been put in as servants of God.

For the most part, I find that most pastors and their wives have to work outside the home and carry on a full-time ministry and be expected to fulfill all the needs of everyone in the church. That ought not to be. It is the church's responsibility to take care of the man of God and his family. They are to be giving their time to the study and preaching of the Word. "Let the leaders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, THOU SHALT NOT MUZZLE THE OX THAT TREADETH OUT THE CORN. And, THE LABOURER IS WORTHY OF HIS REWARD." Double honour????? Whoa.. that's too much to give a pastor. We have to keep him poor and humble. Believe it or not, I've heard people say that before.

It saddens me.

Then, there are those who have experienced much discouragement from parishioners who tell them that they are not meeting up to their expectations. Everyone wants to be a leader and tell the pastor what he should or should not be doing. Almost sounds like Moses and the children of Israel, doesn't it?

I could tell you story after story in detail, but I won't. I just felt it was a time to share just how much you need to appreciate your pastor, and share it from a pastor's wife's heart.

And how about your pastor's wife? When was the last time you came up to her asked if you could help with something that she does plenty of? Didn't you know that a pastor's wife must always be able to play the piano, sing at moment's notice, cook hamburger "100 different ways", dress discretely, but fashionably, wear her hair matronly, but in the latest 'hair-do'??? I remember reading that in one of my favorite books, "The Unprivate Life Of A Pastor's Wife" by Frances Nordland. It scared me to death. I thought, "I can't be what everyone wants me to be.. I can't be like my pastor's wife. That's just NOT me." And you know what? That's exactly what the Lord wanted.. Someone JUST like ME! He wanted to use my personality, my talents, my gifts, and my failures to be there for His honor and glory and that's all!!! Wow!!! I thought He wanted someone 'perfect.' Ha.... ha.. well, when He called us to the ministry.. He knew just who we were.. "Sinners----saved by grace."

And I just want to say.. "I LOVE MY PASTOR". I see him behind the scenes.. I know how long he studies.. and how late he comes home.. I see the little things he does to keep the church building in order..  and he loves the LORD with all his heart.. Thank you, sweetie, for being MY Man of God...

Okay! I've said all that to say this.

Do you know what would make the PERFECT GIFT or surprise for your pastor on this special time????

JUST YOU!!!

Hey.. do you want to see him shocked beyond measure (but it may cause a heart attack, too).... BE AT EVERY SERVICE!!! Bibles wide open, taking notes, and encourage him afterward!

You'll just literally "knock him dead." But really, that's all anyone wants--isn't it? Just to be appreciated for their work's sake and an occasional 'THANK YOU.'

Lord bless you all and bless those special pastors who have given their lives to preach God's Word and with a servant's heart, serve you with joy.


THE PASTOR'S WIFE

She's a Godly woman, she has such grace
Always a warm greeting, a smile on her face.
She's always encouraging, she knows her place.
She is - The Pastor's Wife.

She has to always look just right 
Always on time, though the schedule's tight.
From early morning, til late at night 
Always - The Pastor's Wife

She's such a Lady, everyone's friend
She serves with love from deep within.
All the rifts she tries to mend 
Oh she's - The Pastor's Wife

She carries your burdens, she prays for you
Sometimes she cries the whole night through.
But you won't know when she's feeling blue, 
'Cause she's - The Pastor's Wife

At church as she starts to walk up the aisle,
So many need to stop and talk for awhile. 
Though she is tired, she has her own trials 
She's patient, she's - The Pastor's Wife

Her life, her time, is not her own 
There's always a need, they go on and on
With a knock at the door, or a ringing phone. 
That's the life of - The Pastor's Wife

Her husband she shares with a whole congregation
She humbly accepts his intense dedication. 
In loneliness she kneels to see consolation 
God Bless - The Pastor's Wife

She will someday reach the end of this race
As she meets her Master face to face 
Surely our God has a Special Place 
In Heaven for - The Pastor's Wife!




A PASTOR'S HEART
A well spoken message stirs a heart to rejoice
There is nothing like a strong, resilient voice
But when sorrow comes, there is no better gift to impart
Then the gift of a caring, pastor's heart

A loving touch or a kind word
A moment of counsel from God's holy word
A telephone call--after you just heard.., 
Is the gift of our pastor's heart.

Lord, bless this pastor
In each new day
Bless his ministry along the way
For fame and fortune can never impart
The precious gift of a caring pastor's heart

Just a servant of Christ
and at times a dear friend
With a dersire to love God
To the very end
Tending his flock in the Savior's way
Is the gift of a pastor's heart

Striving to live
as an apostle of Christ
Serving his father giving Godly advice!
Preaching and teaching and sharing the Word
Is the gift of a caring pastor's heart.


TO OUR PASTOR

Our God has sent you to this place
To lead us in the way
That He would have us work and think
And live from day to day.

No matter the hour; whatever the need,
You go the extra mile -
Always ready and willing to share
A comforting thought and a smile.

We're grateful that you're here with us
To teach us from His word,
And we will try to do our best
In service of our Lord.

We thank you for your ministry,
Your guidance and your care.
His greatest blessings for your life
Is our most humble prayer.


FEED MY SHEEP

A small voice in the dark
Whispering to an open heart 
My child, My child, listen to Me 
And the words to you I speak 
My child, My child, feed My sheep

Though I tried to ignore it 
The voice wouldn't go away 
My child, My child 
What are you waiting for
My child, My child, feed My sheep

What do I have to give, I cried 
To those who are hungry and lost 
To those who stand in the dark 
What can I feed Your sheep 
Master, Master, I did cry

What do I have to give, I asked
Those who know sorrow and despair 
Those who know no hope or love 
What can I feed Your sheep 
Master, Master, I ask You

Gather together within My fold
My sheep who are hungry and lost 
My sheep who are standing in the dark
And with the Bread of Life I give 
My child, My child, feed My sheep

Hear My voice upon your heart 
Listen closely to what I say 
As I fed you with My words 
And also with My love and grace, so shall you
My child, My child, feed My sheep


TO OUR PASTOR'S WIFE

When we thank God for our pastor
We must give Him thanks for two,
For when your husband came to us,
God also sent us you.

A pastor's wife must be many things,
You have many hats to wear;
And we say thanks for all you do
And lift you up in prayer.

You adjust your life to meet the needs
Of your husband's congregation,
And it seems that you can always cope
With most any situation.

Your presence blesses all of us
Who know you from day to day.
As our pastor's wife, you are serving God
In a fine and worthy way.


THE PASTOR'S WIFE

We often hear of Heroes
on the news at night,
How someone went into a fire
To save someone else's life.

But, there's another hero 
that we never hear about, 
Though Her love and dedication
are never in a doubt.

Often took for granted...
Never glorified,
Still she keeps on going
for the person by her side.

She stands beside him everyday
no matter what ... is thrown their way,
For he was called from above 
To spread the message of "GOD'S LOVE".

And just as he was called... 
She was hand picked too.
for it takes someone Special
to do what she must do.

And though he may get the Glory
and he may get the Fame,
She will stand beside him in Love
and Help him just the same.

She's the person he turns to
when he needs a friend,
She will always be there till the
"Glorious End".

I would like to take this moment
to introduce to you,
a LOVELY unsung Hero
for whom
GOD hand-picked to spend Her life
as
The Pastor's WIFE.



CLERGY APPRECIATION LINKS








No comments: