Tuesday, January 12, 2010

TAKE A BREAK!!!!!!!

-->


            Did you ever just need a break  or take time off?    Did you ever feel guilty about it?    Well, I did.   I would always make plans to work on that book I was trying to complete (for 25 years... which I finally did)  or make that call to a friend that was gong through a struggle  and I began to feel guilty about not doing it.

           I guess with all the busyness between church, family, friends, holidays and other obligations,  I found that there was no time left.    I would think about it and feel guilty.  Before you know it a week passed, two weeks and then  a whole month went by.   I thought,  "I guess I really needed a break."  And you know what?    THAT'S OKAY!!

            Why is it that we feel so guilty because we're not always
doing what we think we SHOULD be doing.  Sometimes we just need to step back, take a deep breath, and start all over again.  I'm very  guilty of putting myself through the wringer, so to speak.    Are you like that?

            Most vacations take place in the summer, but  it may well be a good time now to see what God's Word says about this subject. 

            Jesus, Himself, shared with the apostles in Mark 6:31,  "And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and REST a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat."   Did you ever hear the saying, "Come apart---before you come APART!!"   Do you know that feeling?    I certainly do.

            Here are other Scriptures admonishing us for the need to rest.  It was recognized in God's law in Exodus 20:10, 11  "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy god: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is  within thy gates:  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea and all that in them is, and RESTED  the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."  Now we don’t  stick to a Sabbath as the Jews were told to do, but there is a time to rest or  seek time away from our duties and work schedules to reflect on our Creator.

            It was longed after:  Psalm 55:6, "And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at REST."  In other words,  "Calgon...take me away!"

            It is provided for:   Revelation 6:11,  "And white robes were given unto every one of them; that they should REST yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled."

            It's fulfilled at Christ's return:  II Thessalonians 1:7, "And to you who are  troubled REST with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty  angels."

             And,  it's enjoyed after death:    Job 3:13, 17,  "For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept; and then had I been at REST,"  There the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary be at REST."

            My favorite verses for sleep and rest are  Psalm 4:8,  "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety."     Proverbs 3:24-26,  “When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.  Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.  For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.”    These verses also have to do with God's protection but you can't help but see He wants us to be at peace and sleep and REST.

            (Sigh) Now,  I don't feel so bad.  So, take a lesson from me.   It's okay to rest, relax, chill out, say "NO", and be still.   Take a deep breath  and know that He is our God!! 

            (All scripture references are from the KJV)
                                                   All my love to you in Him.. 
                                                                                   Georgia