Monday, April 19, 2010

YOU MAKE ME SICK/PASTOR'S STUDY

FROM THE PASTOR’S STUDY
Pastor Tom Sawhook
Sunday,  March 14, 2010
Fellowship Bible Church
Hamilton, Ohio
 
 A Study in the Book Of The Revelation
 
"YOU MAKE ME SICK"
(The Church at Laodicea)

Share 7 Features Centered Around This Theme

1. The Chief Inspector: The Lord Jesus

Rev 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

    2 Cor 1:20 For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen…

    Rev 3:14 …These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
    John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him…


2. The Church: Church at Laodicea

    Rev 3:14  And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write;…
    Col 2:1 For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;

    Col 4:15-16 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.          
    16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.


3.  The City:  Laodicea
  
 Rev 3:14  And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write;…


4. The Concern

    *Centered Around Their Lukewarmness
    Rev 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.   
    16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.


PRINCIPLE # 1:
Lukewarmness Sets In When Christ is Set Aside

    LUKEWARMNESS IS MARKED BY BEING:
    1} Neutral
    Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
    2} Non-Attractive
    3} Nauseating
    Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.

    WHAT CONTRIBUTES TO LUKEWARMNESS?:
    1] Ruts (Bad Habits)
    2] Relationships
    3] Rivals
    4] Riches
    1 Tim 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    5] Reality You’re Not Saved
    Matt 13:5-6 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:    
    6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
    Matt 13:20-21 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and immediately with joy receiveth it;   21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but endureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, immediately he is offended.

PRINCIPLE # 2:
Lukewarmness Sets In When Christ is Set Aside

5. The Clarification

    *He Clarifies Their Poor Spiritual Condition
    Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

PRINCIPLE # 3:
Deception Sets in When Scriptural Values Are Set Aside

    2-FOLD DECEPTION:
    1} Measuring Success By Possessions
    Luke 12:15  Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
    Luke 12:20-21 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?  21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
    Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
    2} Measuring Success By Prestige
    Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing;  and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

PRINCIPLE # 4:
Deception Sets in When Scriptural Values Are Set Aside

6. The Command

    *Centered Around Addressing Their Poor Spiritual Condition
    Rev 3:18-20 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.                            
    19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
    20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

PRINCIPLE # 5:
Wisdom Sets in When Self Reliance is Side Aside

    CHRIST’S WISDOM TEACHES THE NEED TO:
    1) Refined
    Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich
    2) Redress
    Rev 3:18 …and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear;
    3) Refocus
    Rev 3:18 …and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
    4) Repent
    Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
    5) Receive
    Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

    1} For The Sinner: Receive Christ as Savior
    Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, …
    2} For The Saint:  Receive Christ as The Source of Intimate Fellowship
    Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

7.  The Challenge

    CENTERED AROUND:
    1)Looking Forward to The Son’s Promise
    *To Rule & Reign With Christ
    Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

    Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

    Matt 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

    2) Listening to The Spirit’s Exhortation
    Rev 3:22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

 

No comments: